Friday, January 25, 2008

>> Only

So I changed the blog's template back to one of Blogger's defaults. I used images from the music video for Only by Nine Inch Nails for the banner, and images from their latest album YearZero on the sidebar.

In addition to being one of the best rock songs of the last decade imo ( staying at #1 on the Billboard Modern Rock chart for seven weeks in 2005), Only's superb visuals take it to another level. How to make a kick-ass video? Simply get David Fincher to direct it. Yes, the same David who directed some of the best movies of late (Se7en, Fight Club, Alien, Panic Room, Zodiac, The Game). Only is the ONLY music video David has directed since 2000 and the second since 1996. What music videos has he directed before? Oh, just some of the infamous pop videos of the 80s and 90s including Madonna's (Vogue, Express Yourself, Oh Father, Bad Girl), Michael Jackson's (Who is it?), Paula Abdul's (Straight Up, Cold Hearted, Forever Your Girl), Aerosmith (Janie's Got A Gun)....


Ok back to Only. The video relies almost entirely on CGI created by Digital Domain (the Academy Award winning company that did Titanic effects) showing various objects in an office coming to life with the propulsion of the song. The main focus is Trent Reznor's face appearing on the novelty Pin Art that sits on the desk. The only non-CGI components of the video are a person's hand (Fincher's) and a bowl of green apples.


Nine Inch Nails - Only (video)

Lyrically, the song tells the story of the Fight Club character.

I'm becoming less defined, as days go by >> Fading away? Well you might say I'm losing focus >> Kind of drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself >> Sometimes, I think I can see right through myself >> Sometimes, I can see right through myself

Less concerned, about fitting into the world >> Your world that is, cause it doesn't really matter anymore >> No, it doesn't really matter anymore >> None of this really matters anymore

Yes, I am alone, but then again I always was >> As far back as I can tell, I think maybe it's because >> Because you were never really real to begin with >> I just made you up to hurt myself >> And it worked >> Yes it did!

There is no you, there is only me >> There is no fucking you, there is only me >> Only

No comments: